5 Foods that Will Help Keep Your Mind Healthy
Experts have concluded that environmental, genetic, and lifestyle factors like diet and nutrition cause dementia. In addition, medical conditions like heart disease, blood pressure, obesity, and diabetes also play a part in cognitive decline and are affected mainly by your food.
Having a good diet and nutrition has shown evidence to help reduce the risk of dementia as people get older. Some of the best foods include:
Leafy greens have high amounts of antioxidants, phytonutrients, vitamin K, and B vitamins like B9 and folates, which help boost brain health and prevent cognitive decline. Some leafy greens to try to include spinach, collard greens, kale, Swiss chard, leaf lettuce, romaine lettuce, and arugula.
You can add them to your salads, soups, stews, pesto, sauces, and smoothies to incorporate them into your diet all day.
Cherries, blackberries, blueberries, and raspberries are rich in anthocyanin, a flavonoid that stops brain damage progression triggered by free radicals. They also contain antioxidants, anti-inflammatory compounds, minerals, fiber, and a range of vitamins that help prevent inflammation and help maintain brain health.
Nuts and Seeds
Nuts like walnuts, pecans, almonds, peanuts, and cashews are rich in omega-3 fatty acids, healthy fats, magnesium, B vitamins, and vitamin E, which help promote brain health and prevent the signs of dementia as you age.
English walnuts contain high anti-inflammatory phytochemicals, which reduce inflammation in the brain cells and help maintain maximum brain health. Likewise, seeds like flax seeds, pumpkin seeds, and sunflower seeds have high antioxidants, omega-3s, vitamin E, and choline, which help boost brain health and prevent cognitive decline.
Fish like sardines, salmon, mackerel, herring, and cod are rich in Omega-3 fatty acids, which help promote better brain health and protect brain function. Packed with vitamin B12, fish helps maintain optimal brain health. Conversely, experts associate low vitamin B12 levels with cognitive impairment.
Cruciferous vegetables like cauliflower, broccoli, and Brussels sprouts are rich in carotenoids and B vitamins. These help lower homocysteine, an amino acid associated with dementia, brain atrophy, and cognitive decline. You can eat them as salads or add them to condiments, smoothies, and soups.
- Three Joyful Habits for a Healthier You in 2024
- New Year's Resolutions: Staying Committed Year Round
- The Magic of Christmas Traditions
- Staying Healthy During the Winter Months!
- How to be a Time Management Whiz During this Busy Season
- Self-care tips for December
- Mastering the Mind: Techniques for Better Memory and Cognitive Function
- The Art of Productive Procrastination: How to Make the Most of Downtime
- Eating for Energy: Foods that Boost Your Stamina and Productivity
- How to enjoy and celebrate chilly, gloomy days
- Thriving in Your Golden Years: Strategies for Aging Gracefully and Vibrantly
- Best Dog Breeds that Suit Your Needs
- Reduce Stress: Develop Patience
- DIY Delights: Creative Projects for Seniors
- Coping with Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD)
- Long-term Health Benefits of Physical Activity
- How to Trim Down Hidden Costs of Flying
- Best foods for hydration
- How to Experience Positive Aging (8 Tips)
- How to Improve Your Health: The 5 Main Aspects of Wellness
- How much should you actually have in savings?
- Aging and Our Body’s Ability to Heal Itself
- Keeping Health Insurance After a Layoff
- Waking Up to the Impact of Insomnia
- How Life Insurance Benefits Women
- What experts say about raising the retirement age
- Coverage for healthcare treatment denied? Here’s what you can do.
- Sharing the Road with Cyclists
- Buying Life Insurance for an Elderly Parent?
- Medicaid Unwinding: Your Questions Answered
- Living Your Best Life After 60
- Buying Health Insurance: A Millennial’s Guide
- Self-Love Ideas for Valentine’s Day
- Life Without Clutter
- Set Yourself Up for Success with Your Fitness Routine
- Winter Hydration – Do I Need It?
- I’m 60+; Do I Need Life Insurance?
- Why Do I Keep Breaking My New Year’s Resolutions?
- Closing Out the Year with a Smile!
- How to Enjoy a Long Layover
- 6 Cold Weather Safety Tips
- 10 Tips for Managing Cholesterol Levels
- How Much Life Insurance Do You Need Right Now?
- 3 Top Tips for Better Posture
- Building Bone Density for Seniors
- Living Outside Your Comfort Zone in Retirement
- 3 Top Habits that Lead to a Happy Life After Retirement
- Should You Insure Your Gifts?
- Everything You Need to Know When Retiring Under 65
- 7 Benefits of Slow Travel
- Utilizing Medicare Preventative Services
- The Harsh Reality of Credit Card Fees
- Keeping Your Health Insurance Affordable
- 7 Tips to Weather Challenging Periods in Your Life
- What is a Variable Annuity? 4 Key Details You Should Know
- 4 of the Best Ways to Stay Healthy this Summer
- How to Prevent Sun Damage to Your Eyes
- 3 Tips for Safer Grilling
- When the Sun is NOT Your Friend (What You Need to Know about Sun Exposure)
- Tips to Avoid Stress Eating
- Common Exercise Pains – How to Work Past Them and When to Call for Help
- Signs Your Identity Has Been Stolen (and what to do about it)
- How Does Inflation Affect Life Insurance?
- Know the Benefits of Walking
- Do Brain Food Supplements Really Work?
- Ways You Can Spend Less on Gas
- What Are Alternatives if LTC isn’t Right for You?
- 4 Tips for a Less Stressful Summer
- Veteran and Medicare Benefits Work Together
- What are the Safest States From Natural Disasters?
- How to Choose an In-Home Care Provider for Your Loved One in 5 Steps
- 7 Myths About Your Back Pain
- 5 Foods that Will Help Keep Your Mind Healthy
- Don’t Throw Away Those Used Coffee Grounds
- I’m 50 Years Old. Should I Keep My Life Insurance?
- How to Spot Government Imposters
- 5 Mistakes to Avoid When Buying a Life Insurance Policy
- Happiness Through Healthy Food
- 5 Step Checklist to Choosing a Health Insurance Plan
- 5 Creative Spring Décor Ideas
- 10 Ways to Maintain Healthy Joints
- 3 Incredible Healthcare Smart Technologies Coming Your Way
- Do I Need a Long-Term Care Plan?
- Senior Diet: To Meat or Not to Meat
- How to Take Care of Your Personal Intangible Assets
- How to Get Health Insurance if You’re a Freelancer
- Safety Tips for Driving in Winter
- Ways to Locate a Lost Life Insurance Policy
- Critical Times in Life that You Need Life Insurance
- Giving and Forgiving
- Why Buy Life Insurance on Children
- Things We Are Grateful for This Year
- What to Avoid When Switching to Medicare from the Public Health Exchange
- How to Host a Successful Virtual Holiday Party
- Is One of These Factors Keeping You from Seeking Life Insurance?
- Who Invented Insurance Anyway?
- Common Senior Micronutrient Deficiencies
- The Art of Aging Well
- Insure What? Celebrity Body Parts Insured